Gulf of Mexico Biodiversity
Last updated about 4 years ago
A recently published reference book about Gulf of Mexico Biodiversity (Felder & Camp 2009) lists 15,419 species within 40 phyla, ranging from single-celled microbes to seaweeds, plants, fungi, and a great diversity of invertebrate and vertebrate animals. This collection provides as sample of prominent Gulf of Mexico species.
For more information about Gulf of Mexico Biodiversity, check out the following resources:
- Ocean Biogeographic Information System:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Ocean Explorer Expeditions
- National Marine Fisheries Service: Gulf of Mexico Habitat Areas of Particular Concern (pdf)
- Felder, D. L. and D. K. Camp, eds. 2009. Gulf of Mexico Origin, Waters, and Biota. Volume I, Biodiversity. Texas A&M University Press. See the publisher's page about the book and the Google Books Preview
- Gomez, G. M. 2008. The Louisiana Coast. Guide to an American Wetland. Texas A&M University Press, Corpus Christi.
- Rothschild, S. B. 2004. Beachcomber's Guide to Gulf Coast Marine Life. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. Third Edition. Taylor Trade Publishing, Lanham.
- Tunnell, J. W., E. A. Chávez, and K. Withers, eds. 2007. Coral Reefs of the Southern Gulf of Mexico. Texas A&M University Press, Corpus Christi.