- Large, compound photophores with posteriorly directed reflectors.
- Arms IV with 4 longitudinal series of photophores on arm base (3 series of large photophores, dorsal series of small photophores
- Terminal group of large photophores on arms absent.
CommentsMore details of the description can be found here.
Species of the reversa-group are distinguished by the following characters:
- Compound photophores
- Large and small photophores intermixed on ventral surface of mantle .
- 18 photophores (17 large and 1 small) around right eyelid.
- Weakly developed median ridge on each lateral wall.
H. reversa is most easily separated from other members of the reversa group by (1) the arrangement of photophores on arms IV (H. atlantica - 4 series, dorsal series of mixed sizes; H reversa - 4 series, dorsal series of small sizes; H. eltaninae - 3 series) and (2) from H. atlantica by the absence of simple, arm-tip photophores and from H. eltaninae by the short connective complex in their spermatophores and the presence of posterior reflectors (not described for H. eltaninae) on compound photophores.
The above information is from Voss (1969) and Voss, et al. (1998).
No one has provided updates yet.