- Armature of the arms differs greatly between species.
- Tentacles present.
- Tentacular clubs without hooks.
- Suckers of tentacular club in numerous irregular series; suckers about equal in size.
- Proximal locking-apparatus of club a series of knobs and suckers along dorsal margin of manus.
- Radula with teeth in 7 series.
- Mantle tissue muscular.
- Fins rhomboid in shape; not drawn out into a tail.
- Photophores absent.
The following table compares characteristics of subadult species of Berryteuthis.
|Species / Character||Maximum size||Arm hooks|
|B. anonychus|| 70 - 150 mm ML ||Females only, few, small, at arm bases|
|B. magister|| 180 - 380 mm ML ||Both sexes, many, large, along arms|
No one has provided updates yet.