- Dorsal protective membranes of arms II and III greatly enlarged (ca. 2X) relative to their ventral protective membranes, and with long, well-defined trabeculae.
- Suckers lack distal fleshy knob (see Onychoteuthis).
- Tentacular club
- A few marginal suckers present in subadults, presumably lost in adults.
- Occipital region
- 3 occipital folds; large occipital membrane from fold 3 extends dorsally and curves to join occipital crest without forming a distict fourth fold. Olfactory organ lies at posterior end of fold no. 2.
- Oval with large anterior lobes; not drawn-out posteriorly (see Title illustration). The apical fin-angle is approximately 180°.
- Absent. Note, in the photograph above, that the eye which has popped outside the eyelid, has no photophores on its ventral surface.
- Short, blunt rostrum directed perpendicular to tip of gladius.
- Gladius visible in dorsal mid-line except at posterior tip of mantle.
The above description is based on specimens captured in Hawaiian waters.
No one has provided updates yet.