Adult Callinectes similis occur in the oceanic littoral zone in salinities above 15ä at a depth of 100 meters along the eastern seaboard from Delaware Bay to Key West, Florida and southern coasts of the United States, to the Yucatan, Colombia and northern Jamaica (Williams 1984, Piller et al. 1995). They are widely distributed along the northern Gulf of Mexico in open bay habitats (Hsueh et al. 1992a). Juveniles are found in estuaries in these same regions. Juveniles of the lesser blue crab are common in seagrass beds in the Indian River Lagoon (Gore 1977).
- Barnes RD. 1980. Invertebrate Zoology. Saunders College/Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Philadelphia, PA pp. 725
- Bookhout CG and JD Costow, Jr. 1977. Larval development of Callinectes similis reared in the laboratory. Bulletin of Marine Science 27:704-728.
- British Towns and Villages Network. Available online.
- Das T and WB Stickle. 1993. Sensitivity of crabs Callinectes sapidus and C. similis and the gastropod Stramonita haemastoma to hypoxia and anoxia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 98:263-274.
- Gore RH 1977. Studies on decapod crustaceans from the Indian River region of Florida.A field character for the rapid identification of the swimming crabs Callinectes ornatus Ordway, 1963 and C. similis Williams, 1966 (Brachyura: Portunidae). Northeast Gulf Science 1:119-123.
- Guerin JL and WB Stickle. 1997. Effects of salinity on survival and bioenergetics of juvenile lesser blue crabs, Callinectes similis. Marine Biology 129:63-69.
- Hsueh PW McClintock JB and TS Hopkins. 1993. Population dynamics and life history characteristics of the blue crabs Callinectes similis and C. sapidus in bay environments of the northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Ecology 14:239-257.
- Hsueh PW, McClintock JB and TS Hopkins. 1992a. Comparative study of the diets of the blue crabs Callinectes similis and C. sapidus from a mud-bottom habitat in Mobile Bay, Alabama. Journal of Crustacean Biology 12:615-619.
- Hsueh PW, McClintock JB and TS Hopkins. 1992b. Factors affecting the population dynamics of the lesser blue crab (Callinectes similis Williams) in barrier island salt marsh habitats of the Gulf of Mexico. Journal of the Alabama Academy of Science 63:1-9.
- Piller SC, Henry RP, Doeller JE and DW Kraus. 1995. A comparison of the gill physiology of two euryhaline crab species, Callinectes sapidus and Callinectes similis: energy production, transport-related enzymes and osmoregulation as a function of acclimation salinity. Journal of Experimental Biology 198:349-358.
- Williams AB. 1984. Shrimps, Lobsters, and Crabs of the Atlantic Coast of the Eastern United States, Maine to Florida. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D. C., pp 373-376.
No one has provided updates yet.