Falco sparverius and other hawks, such as Accipiter striatus and Accipiter cooperii, Otus asio, Laricidae, Quiscalus quiscula, Quiscalus major, Rattus norvegicus, Sciuridae, Mustela, Procyon lotor, Lynx rufus, Felis silvestris, Squamata, Rana catesbeiana, Actinopterygii and fire Formicidae are predators of barn swallows. Barn swallows usually give alarm calls when predators come near. Most predators of barn swallows attack the nestlings, but Accipitridae, Falconidae, and Strigiformes tend to hunt adults.
Barn swallows mainly escape predators by being swift and agile in flight and by building their nests in places that are difficult for predators to reach.
- American kestrels (Falco_sparverius)
- sharp-shinned hawks (Accipiter_striatus)
- Cooper's hawks (Accipiter_cooperii)
- eastern screech owls (Otus_asio)
- gulls (Laridae)
- common grackles (Quiscalus_quiscula)
- boat-tailed grackles (Quiscalus_major)
- brown rats (Rattus_norvegicus)
- squirrels (Sciuridae)
- weasels (Mustela)
- raccoons (Procyon_lotor)
- bobcats (Lynx_rufus)
- domestic cats (Felis_silvestris)
- snakes (Serpentes)
- bullfrogs (Rana_catesbeiana)
- fish (Actinopterygii)
- fire ants (Formicidae)
No one has provided updates yet.