Brief Summary

Read full entry


This is one of the most poisonous European toadstools (3). All parts of the fungus are deadly, and it should never be eaten (4). The cap is typically yellowish to olivaceous green, sometimes paling almost to white, usually with darker streaks radiating outwards (3) (4) (5). It is convex at first, but becomes flattened as it ages, and may develop a sickly sweet smell (2) (5). The gills underneath the cap are white, and the white stem has a distinct ring, although this may become damaged or lost (3) (4). The base of the stem bulges into a 'bulb', which is covered by a white sheath known as a volva (2). WARNING: Many species of fungus are poisonous or contain chemicals that can cause sickness. Never pick and eat any species of fungus that you cannot positively recognise or are unsure about. Some species are deadly poisonous and can cause death within a few hours if swallowed.


Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 3.0 (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)

© Wildscreen

Source: ARKive

Belongs to 1 community


EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.

To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!