Eastern Africa: This species is known from Lakes Victoria, Kyoga, Edward and George. It is also present in Victoria Nile and their affluent streams and rivers such as Nabugabo, Kachera, Nakivali and Kijanebarola. Also in Malagarasi river (De Vos et al. 2001) and Rusizi River.
Northeast Africa: It is found in Bahr el Jebel, Sudan
- Teugels, G.G. 1986 Clariidae. p. 66-101. In J. Daget, J.-P. Gosse and D.F.E. Thys van den Audenaerde (eds.) Check-list of the freshwater fishes of Africa (CLOFFA). ISNB, Brussels, MRAC, Tervuren; and ORSTOM, Paris. Vol. 2. (Ref. 3820)
- Eccles, D.H. 1992 FAO species identification sheets for fishery purposes. Field guide to the freshwater fishes of Tanzania. Prepared and published with the support of the United Nations Development Programme (project URT/87/016). FAO, Rome. 145 p. (Ref. 4967)
Habitat and Ecology
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- 2006Least Concern(IUCN 2006)
- 2006Least Concern
Relevance to Humans and Ecosystems
Werner's catfish (Clarias werneri) is a species of airbreathing catfish. It is found in Burundi and Tanzania. Its natural habitats are rivers and freshwater lakes. It is threatened by habitat loss. This species reaches a length of 23.0 cm (9.1 inches) SL.
- Hanssens, M. 2005. Clarias werneri. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 4 August 2007.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2011). "Clarias werneri" in FishBase. December 2011 version.
|This catfish-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|