- Paxton, J.R., J.E. Gates, D.J. Bray and D.F. Hoese 2006 Galaxiinae. Galaxias, native minnows, native trout. p. 402-411. In P.L. Beesley and A. Wells (eds.). Zoological Catalogue of Australia. Volume 35 Part 1. ABRS & CSIRO Publishing, Australia. (Ref. 86962)
- Allen, G.R. 1989 Freshwater fishes of Australia. T.F.H. Publications, Inc., Neptune City, New Jersey. (Ref. 5259)
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Galaxias olidus
Public Records: 0
Specimens with Barcodes: 3
Species With Barcodes: 1
Galaxias olidus, occupies a vast geographical range. They are found from southern Queensland to the Adelaide Hills in South Australia, and while occurring widely in the Murray-Darling river system, are also found in eastern and southern coastal systems, as well. It is not clear how much of their coastal distribution is due to natural river capture events (although it is certain much of it is) and how much of it may be due to migration, for many mountain galaxias species have the ability to "climb" natural migration barriers with modified pelvic fin structures. 
Within the Murray-Darling system, the mountain galaxias continues the trend of specialisation into upland and lowland habitats, with species found in upland habitats, and the flathead galaxias found in lowland habitats. Though Galaxias olidus, stray down to the upland/lowland transition zone in some rivers.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2014). "Galaxias olidus" in FishBase. 11 2014 version.
- Raadik, T.A. (2014). "Fifteen from one: a revision of the Galaxias olidus Günther, 1866 complex (Teleostei, Galaxiidae) in south-eastern Australia recognises three previously described taxa and describes 12 new species.". Zootaxa, 3898 (1): 1–198.
- McDowall, R.M. (2006): Crying wolf, crying foul, or crying shame: alien salmonids and a biodiversity crisis in the southern cool-temperate galaxioid fishes? Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 16: 233–422.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!