Data about Sciuromorpha
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
Glossary for Sciuromorpha
- age at eye opening
- Age at which both eyes are fully open after birth.
- Kate E. Jones, Jon Bielby, Marcel Cardillo, Susanne A. Fritz, Justin O'Dell, C. David L. Orme, Kamran Safi, Wes Sechrest, Elizabeth H. Boakes, Chris Carbone, Christina Connolly, Michael J. Cutts, Janine K. Foster, Richard Grenyer, Michael Habib, Christopher A. Plaster, Samantha A. Price, Elizabeth A. Rigby, Janna Rist, Amber Teacher, Olaf R. P. Bininda-Emonds, John L. Gittleman, Georgina M. Mace, and Andy Purvis. 2009. PanTHERIA: a species-level database of life history, ecology, and geography of extant and recently extinct mammals. Ecology 90:2648. http://esapubs.org/archive/ecol/E090/184/
- age at first birth
- Age at which females give birth to their first litter, or their young attach to teats or hatch out
- body length (VT)
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the body of an organism.
- body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- clutch/brood/litter size
- Single birth offspring quantity. The proportion or number of offspring produced from a single pregnancy (mammals) or ovulation (fish) or nesting (birds).
- A plane angle unit which is equal to 1/360 of a full rotation or 1.7453310^[-2] rad.
- dispersal age
- Age at which young permanently leave the parent, parental group, social group or any associated territories.
- The original description of the elevation (altitude, usually above sea level) of the Location.
- gestation period duration
- The length of time between when a fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus and the birth of offspring.
- inter-birth interval
- The length of time between successive births of a female.
- The geographic latitude (in decimal degrees, using the spatial reference system given in geodeticDatum) of the geographic center of a Location. Positive values are north of the Equator, negative values are south of it. Legal values lie between -90 and 90, inclusive.
- litters per year
- Number of litters per female per year
- The geographic longitude (in decimal degrees, using the spatial reference system given in geodeticDatum) of the geographic center of a Location. Positive values are east of the Greenwich Meridian, negative values are west of it. Legal values lie between -180 and 180, inclusive.
- onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- social group size
- Number of individuals in a group that spends the majority of their time in a 24 hour cycle together where there is some indication that these individuals form a social cohesive unit.
- total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- weaning age
- Age when primary nutritional dependency on the mother ends and independent foraging begins to make a major contribution to the offspring’s energy requirements.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!