Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Amblyteles armatorius
Public Records: 0
Specimens with Barcodes: 5
Species With Barcodes: 1
Amblyteles armatorius can reach a length of 12–16 mm, excluding antennae, that reach about 9 millimetres (0.35 in). The head and thorax of this large wasp are black, except the yellow scutellum. The abdomen is yellow and more oval in the females, with broad black bands. Legs are yellow, execept the hind legs, that are black and yellow. This species lacks the sting, so the characteristic markings of many aculeate wasps represent a protective mimicry.   The female lacks also the long ovipositor present in most of the ichneumon wasps. 
Adults can be usually found in Summer on flowers, especially Apiaceae species, feeding on nectar and pollen. The adults overwinter. The females of this parasitic wasp lay their eggs into the caterpillars of moths. When they hatch larvae feed on their hosts, mainly Noctuidae and Notodontidae, but also some Geometridae, Lymantriidae, Saturniidae and Lasiocampidae (Calliteara pudibunda, Odontopera bidentata, Macrothylacia rubi and Saturnia pavonia). 
Distribution and habitat
- Tischbein, P.F.L. (1868) Hymenopterologische Beitrage., Stettiner Entomologische Zeitung. 29:248-258.
- Stephens, J.F. (1835) Illustrations of British Entomology. Mandibulata. Vol. VII., Baldwin & Cradock, London. 306 pp. [Index, list of plates and errata published in 1845.]
- Olivier, M. (1792) Ichneumon., Encyclopedie methodique, Histoire naturelle. Insectes. 7:133-224.
- Gmelin, J.F. (1790) Caroli a Linne Systema Naturae (Ed. XIII). Tom I., G.E. Beer. Lipsiae. 2225-3020. (Ichneumon: 2674-2722).
- Villers, C. de (1789) Caroli Linnaei entomologia, Faunae Suecicae descriptionibus. Tomus tertius., Lugduni. 657 pp. (Ichneumon on pp. 134-218)
- Fabricius, J.C. (1775) Systema Entomologiae, sistens Insectorum classes, ordines, genera, species., Flensburgi et Lipsae. 832 pp.
- Encyclopaedia of Life
- Nature Spot
- Fauna Europaea
|This wasp-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!