Zoologger: The largest arthropod to prowl the land
It's paradise with a twist. As the sun sets over the beautiful Palmyra atoll, south of Hawaii, Earth's largest land arthropod emerges from its lair...read more
- Kessler, C. 2005. Observation of a coconut crab, Birgus latro (Linnaeus, 1767) predation on a Polynesian rat, Rattus exulans (Peale, 1848). Crustaceana 78(6):761-762. 10.1163/156854005774353485
- Reese, ES. 1968. Shell Use: An Adaptation for Emigration from the Sea by the Coconut Crab. Science 161(3839):385-386. 10.1126/science.161.3839.385
- Sato, T and K Yoseda. 2009. Egg extrusion site of coconut crab Birgus latro: direct observation of terrestrial egg extrusion. Marine Biodiversity Records 2:e37. doi:10.1017/S1755267209000426
- Sato, T and K Yoseda. 2009. Prediction of timing of mating and egg extrusion in the coconut crab Birgus latro judged from female pleonal expansion. Fisheries Science 75(3):641-648. DOI: 10.1007/s12562-009-0093-1
- Wilde, JE, SM Linton, P Greenaway. 2004. Dietary assimilation and the digestive strategy of the omnivorous anomuran land crab Birgus latro (Coenobitidae). Journal of Comparative Physiology B 174(4): 299-308. DOI: 10.1007/s00360-004-0415-7
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!