Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:75
Specimens with Barcodes:32
Species With Barcodes:11
- Japanese pond turtle, M. japonica
- Yellow pond turtle, M. mutica
- Vietnamese pond turtle or Annam leaf turtle, M. annamensis - formerly separated in Annamemys
- Caspian turtle or striped-neck terrapin, M. caspica
- Balkan pond turtle or Balkan terrapin, M. rivulata - formerly included in M. caspica
- Spanish pond turtle, M. leprosa - formerly included in M. caspica
- Chinese broad-headed pond turtle, M. megalocephala
- Red-necked pond turtle, M. nigricans
- Chinese pond turtle, M. reevesii
- Chinese stripe-necked turtle, M. sinensis
The Fujian pond turtle, described as Mauremys iversoni, is a farm-bred hybrid, between yellow pond turtles (usually females) and the golden coin turtle or Cuora cyclornata (usually males). Similarly, the turtles described as Mauremys pritchardi are farm-bred and wild-occurring hybrids between the Chinese pond turtle and the yellow pond turtle. While it is not unusual for valid species of geoemydid turtles to arise from hybrids, this is yet to be discussed with M. pritchardi; M. iversoni is probably not, since they only seem to be produced in farms and most males are sterile.
- Gray, John Edward. 1869. Description of Mauremys laniaria, a new freshwater tortoise. Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 1869:499–500.
- Gray, John Edward. 1870. Supplement to the Catalogue of Shield Reptiles in the Collection of the British Museum. Part I. Testudinata (Tortoises). London: British Museum, 120 pp.
- Lindholm, Wassili A. 1931. Über eine angebliche Testudo-Art aus Südchina. Zoologischer Anzeiger 97:27–30.
- Smith, Malcolm A. 1931. The Fauna of British India, including Ceylon and Burma. Reptilia and Amphibia. Vol. I. Loricata, Testudines. London: Taylor and Francis, 185 pp.
- Bourret, René. 1939. Notes herpétologiques sur l’Indochine française. XVI. Tortues de la collection du Laboratoire des Sciences Naturelles de l’Université. Description d’une espèce nouvelle. Annexe au Bulletin Générale de l’Instruction Publique 1939(6):1–34.
- Turtle Taxonomy Working Group [van Dijk , P.P., Iverson, J.B., Shaffer, H.B., Bour, R., and Rhodin, A.G.J.]. 2012. Turtles of the world, 2012 update: annotated checklist of taxonomy, synonymy, distribution, and conservation status. Chelonian Research Monographs No. 5, pp. 000.243–000.328, doi:10.3854/crm.5.000.checklist.v5.2012, .
|This article about a turtle is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!