Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Haliotis discus
Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Haliotis discus
Public Records: 11
Specimens with Barcodes: 11
Species With Barcodes: 1
- Haliotis discus discus Reeve, 1846
- Haliotis discus hannai Ino, 1953 (sometimes wrongly identified as Haliotis kamtschatkana kamtschatkana Jonas, 1845, to which it is very similar)
The size of the shell varies between 100 mm and 150 mm. "This species is closely allied in all characters to Haliotis kamtschatkana but is more elongated than the typical Kamtschatkana. The interior surface has a peculiarly metallic luster, light bronze-green and coppery-red predominating." 
- Haliotis discus Reeve, 1846. Retrieved through: World Register of Marine Species on 9 April 2010.
- H.A. Pilsbry (1890) Manual of Conchology XII; Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, 1890
- Oliver, A.P.H. (2004). Guide to Seashells of the World. Buffalo: Firefly Books. 18.
- Geiger D.L. & Owen B. (2012) Abalone: Worldwide Haliotidae. Hackenheim: Conchbooks. viii + 361 pp.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!