Habitat and Ecology
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
This species is found in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Flores, Indonesia. This is a wide ranging species and is uncommon throughout its range. There are no known major threats, therefore it is listed as Least Concern.
The size of an adult shell varies between 29 mm and 80.5 mm. The shell is somewhat swollen above. The spire is striate. The color of the shell is light yellowish brown, variegated by darker strigations, and faint revolving lines or rows of spots, often indistinctly lighter-banded in the middle. 
- Bruguière, J. G., and Hwass, C. H., 1792. Cone. Encyclopédie Méthodique: Histoire Naturelle des Vers, 1: 586 -757
- Conus hyaena Hwass in Bruguière, 1792. Retrieved through: World Register of Marine Species on 25 July 2011.
- George Washington Tryon, Manual of Conchology vol. VI, p. 40; 1879 (described as Conus mutabilis)
- Dautzenberg, P. (1923). Liste préliminaire des mollusques marins de Madagascar et description de deux especes nouvelles. Journal de Conchyliologie 68: 21-74
- Filmer R.M. (2001). A Catalogue of Nomenclature and Taxonomy in the Living Conidae 1758 - 1998. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden. 388pp
- Tucker J.K. (2009). Recent cone species database. September 4th 2009 Edition