Data about Pleuronectiformes
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
Evolution and Systematics
||The Paleobiology Database|
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
|Trait||Values||Record Count||Taxa Count|
|12.0 to 363.0 kg||9||9|
|0 to 15.7 m||20||8|
|-66.3 to 79.3 degrees||1496||746|
|-180 to 180.0 degrees||1510||746|
|2.8 to 13.49 years||30||16|
|2.0 to 90.0 years||35||35|
|-9 to 4,976.0 m||2332||778|
|5.72 to 40.31 PSU||1062||530|
|-2.07 to 29.34 degrees Celsius||1062||530|
|233.75 g to 199.65 kg||20||20|
Glossary for Pleuronectiformes
- body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- The original description of the elevation (altitude, usually above sea level) of the Location.
- This taxon is still in existence, as opposed to extinct.
- extinction status
- Indicates whether a taxon is extant (living today) or extinct.
- first appearance (older bound)
- The older bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- first appearance (younger bound)
- The younger bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- last appearance (older bound)
- The older bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- last appearance (younger bound)
- The younger bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- The geographic latitude (in decimal degrees, using the spatial reference system given in geodeticDatum) of the geographic center of a Location. Positive values are north of the Equator, negative values are south of it. Legal values lie between -90 and 90, inclusive.
- The geographic longitude (in decimal degrees, using the spatial reference system given in geodeticDatum) of the geographic center of a Location. Positive values are east of the Greenwich Meridian, negative values are west of it. Legal values lie between -180 and 180, inclusive.
- million years ago
- 1 megaannum in the past. Megaannum, Ma. is a unit of time equal to one million (10^6) years.
- onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- water depth
- The depth of seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- water salinity
- Dissolved salt concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- water temperature
- Temperature of the water at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!