Patrick Leary

• Profile picture of Elza  Pap who took this action.

Elza Pap commented on "EOL Curators":

@Katja Schulz: Thank you @Katja Schulz, I uploaded Graellsia isabelle x. Acitas selene hibrid and Niphargus aggtelekiensis images to encyclopedia of life group on flickr (i got licenses both of image for owners to me) ! I hope i did well... Tomorrow i will create a page for Graellsia isabelle x Actias selene!

about 1 month ago • edited: about 1 month ago

• Profile picture of Markus Ankenbrand who took this action.

Markus Ankenbrand commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

My mail address is markus.ankenbrand@uni-wuerzburg.de Many thanks again for your great help.

3 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Markus Ankenbrand: Have you got an email? If you don't want to post it publicly here, send me a DM on twitter @DrYanWong

3 months ago

• Profile picture of Markus Ankenbrand who took this action.

Markus Ankenbrand commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Yan Wong: Yes, I would appreciate that. I just had a look at the dump and I'm rather overwhelmed. Thanks in advance!

3 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Markus Ankenbrand: I have some Python code for mining the dump, if you like.

3 months ago

• Profile picture of Markus Ankenbrand who took this action.

Markus Ankenbrand commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@YanWong: Hi Yan, thanks for this fast, elaborate and very helpful response. I will check out your links and add my +1. In the meanwhile I will use the wikidata JSON dump. Markus

3 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Markus Ankenbrand: Hi Marcus. I had the same problem, and raised this issue about it: https://github.com/EOL/tramea/issues/40. Do comment there if it is something you would like to see - the more people ask, the more likely it is to get done (there's a big backlog of more important EoL coding improvements to make at the moment, though). The other route is to go via 3rd parties. The most promising lead here is via one of the developers at EoL, called Dima. He also runs a service called GNresolver, and I raised the issue with him there (http://globalnames.org/news/2015/09/22/otol-eol/). He is intending to do an EoL import every month or so, and eventually the IDs should be made available through a project called BioGUID (http://globalnames.org/news/2015/10/14/bishop-museum-workshop/), but I don't think that is there yet. Meanwhile, I've been using the wikidata JSON dump (https://dumps.wikimedia.org/wikidatawiki/entities/) which has booth NCBI and EOL ids for perhaps a million taxa or so. Drop me a message on my feed if you want to know more. Yan

3 months ago

• Profile picture of Markus Ankenbrand who took this action.

Markus Ankenbrand commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

I want to retrieve a complete mapping from NCBI taxids to EOL page ids. I can query the API via search_by_provider but I can only ask for one taxid at a time. As I want to map more than 700,000 taxids this approach is not feasible. Is there any other way to get this kind of mapping for a large number of ids?

3 months ago

• Profile picture of tukaram who took this action.

tukaram commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

I want a list of EOL plants pages with there ids for linking my site . Can it possible?

4 months ago

Yan, the info for the EOL species of the day widget is stored as text with the page in the EOL species of the day collection. We had talked about adding a field for "Tagline" or "Factoid" or something. It is a good idea -- maybe suggest it here: https://github.com/EOL/eol/issues

4 months ago

4 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

How do I use the search API (http://eol.org/api/docs/search) to restrict results to just taxa, like you can do by selecting the "Taxa" box on the "FILTER BY TYPE" list on the left hand side of the search results?

4 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

Any idea why the average rating for this image http://eol.org/data_objects/13218087/ hasn't been calculated correctly?

5 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

Actually, I see that some of this sort of information must have been collated for the smithsonian "EoL species of the day" widget. It would be nice if they could input these little information snippets into EoL fields, for reuse.

5 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

Can I suggest an addition to the list of "eol subheadings" at http://eol.org/info/writing_eol_chapters - something like "did you know", e.g. this is the largest mushroom in the world (with ref if possible), or "the aardvark has an incredible symbiotic relationship with the world's only known underground cucumber". etc etc. These could be used to produce EoL 'top trumps' cards, e-cards, etc etc. Where's the best place to discuss this?

5 months ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "EOL Curators":

Please bear with us on the March of Snails on the homepage. A souvenir of the server migration, the development team is aware and will look into it shortly.

6 months ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "EOL Curators":

just tweaked the Hippocampus search suggestion back to the genus page manually- thanks!

6 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

The march of life photos on the front EOL page seem rather shell-heavy at the moment - too much to be a coincidence, I suspect.

6 months ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

Thanks Jennifer (the reply button seems to have gone awol). Media is starting to look more rational. I see that it's still the top page on a Hippocampus search, though.

6 months ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "EOL Curators":

Thanks, Yan! Here is a good place for those reports. One of our classification providers' genus level record was in that taxon concept for some reason. I moved it to the genus concept. The media are starting to sort themselves out. When the dust settles, I think we won't have any images on the jugumus page, so if anyone's got one they can iNat or flickr...

6 months ago